Adverbial clause adalah clause yang berfungsi sbg adverb,yakni menerangkan kata kerja. Adverbial clause biasanya di klasifikasikan berdasarkan “arti/maksud” dari conjunction (kata penghubung yang mendahuluinya).
Jenis-jenis adverbial clause antara lain :
1. Adverbial clause of time
Adverbial clause of time biasanya di awali subordinate conjunction seperti after,before,no sooner,while,as,when,as long as,as soon as,whenever,until,till,by the time(that),now that,once,since dll.
• When I was in elementary school,I had two close friends
• Shut the door before you go out
• No sooner had she entered that he gave an order
• My mother came after night bad fallen
• I shall come before she comes
2. Adverbial Clause of Place
Adverbial clause of place di awali oleh subordinate conjunction seperti where, anywhere, wherever, when dll
• They sat down when ever they could find empty seats
• My younger sister follows me wherever I go
• She went quickly when you came
• Where there is a will,there is a way
• Anywhere you can find it
3. Adverbial Clause of Contrast (or concession)
Clause yang menunjukkan adanya pertentangan antara dua kejadian atau peristiwa yang saling berhubungan. Adver clause of contrast (or concession) diawali oleh subordinate conjunction seperti although,though,even though,whereas,even if,in spite of,as the time,dan relative adverb:however dan whatever.
• She went although it was raining
• As the time you were sleeping,we were working hard
• Sherly wanted to stop,whereas I wanted to go on
• Even if it is raining I shall come
• Although we are rich,we are unhappy
However biasanya diikuti oleh adjective atau adverb,sedangkan whatever diikuti oleh noun(pronoun),vinite verb atau sebuah clause.
• However often I tried,I always failed
• Whatever you say,I go
4. Adverbial Clause of Manner
Adverbial clause of manner biasanya di dahului oleh subordinate conjunction seperti as if,as though,how dan in that.
• He did as I told him
• She did as I told him
• You may finish it how you like
• She looks as though she has seen a ghost
5. Adverbial Clause of Purpose
Adverbial clause of purpose diawali oleh subordinate conjunction seperti so that,in order that (yang keduanya berarti agar atau supaya) dll.
• They went to the movie early (in order) to find the best seats
• I got up early so that I might see the sun rise
• She bought a book so (that) she could learn English
• We plant so that we can reap crops
6. Adverbial Clause of Result
Adverbial clause of result diawali oleh subordinate conjunction seperti so that.
• He worked hard so that he was tired
• I was tired of waiting so that I decided to go on without her
Bila dalam klausa utama terdapat adjective atau adverb yang ingin di tekankan,maka so harus di letakkan sebelum adjective atau adverb itu.
• She was so weak that she could no speak
• He worked so hard that he was tired
Tetapi jika dalam klausa utamanya tidak terdapat noun yang di dahului adjective,maka kita harus menggunakan such ( yang di tempatkan sebelum article dan adjective itu)
• She is such polite girl
• I bought such a good book that I learn English well
7. Adverbial Clause of Cause (reason)
Adverbial clause of cause (reason) biasanya diawali oleh subordinate conjunction seperti because,since,as,seeing that,now that,whereas,because of the fact that,due to the fact that,dll
• I ran because I was late
• Since I believe her story,I shall have her
• As susan was here,I will ask her to take the message
• Now that she was not here,I spoke to her mother
Since,as,seeing that dan now that selalu di tempatkan di awal kalimat,sedangkan because di tengah kalimat,namun because pun kadang-kadang di tempatkan diwal kalimat bila alasannya yang lebih di tekankan.
• Because I like you,I shall help you
8. Adverbial Clause of Degree
Adverbial clause of degree biasanya diawali oleh subordinate conjunction seperti than atau relative adverb : as.
• She is older than she looks
• They arrived later than we though
• He is taller than I am
• She worked as hard as she could
9. Adverbial Clause of Condition
Menunjukkan adanya persyaratan antara dua kejadian (peristiwa) yang berhubungan. Biasanya di buat dengan menggunakan conjunction seperti if,even if,unless,in the even that,or in even that,in case,provided (that),on condition yhat,if only,suppose (that),supposing (that) dll.
• If I here any news,I will phone you
• If you were a mouse,the cat would catch you
• Suppose (that) your house burns down,do you have enough insurance to cover such a loss
• The company will agree to arbitration on condition (that) the strike is called off at once
SOAL DAN KUNCI JAWABAN
1. What the meaning adverb clause…
a. Dependen clause the function to word adverbial in level compound sentence
b. Talk about everyday activities using the give
c. The verb after she,he,it,has a final-s
d. Use adverbial expressions to function giving comments
2. How many the mentions adverb clause…
3. The following answer are conjunction of meaning time in adverb clause,except…
4. The had to move…their building was to be turn down
5. Mention characteristic conjunction of contras in adverb clause…
a. If,even if,unless,long as
b. Although,though,even though
1.A 2.B 3.C 4.D 5.B
REFERENSI / NARASUMBER :
Junaida,Suryadi.2007.”COMPLETE ENGLISH GRAMMAR”.Yogyakarta.Pustaka Pelajar.
Jack,Saharuddin H.2003,”THE EASIEST WAY OF COMPREHENDING ENGLISH GRAMMAR”.Jakarta.Batavia Press.